Thursday, December 20, 2007

War on Christmas

Why is it that every year I have to put up with hearing people get so upset that stores and companies have "holiday" parties and greet you with "happy holidays?" I was always under the impression people were asked to say that because, and this may come as a shock, not everybody celebrates Christmas. OH MY! Yes, it is true. Of course a lot people in this country do celebrate something this season so why no include everybody with your greeting and wrap it up with happy holiday? And of course New Years is in there as well. I have my opinions on why this is such a big deal. Mainly it is the pundits and spiritual leaders ruffling the feathers of their flock because if you feel you, or your faith in this matter, is threatened you will become more vigilant to stand up and fight for it. Or maybe they really do feel or believe that it is under attack. I mean the recent events of Nativity scenes and Ten Commandments being taken out of public places would be seen as something they are not pleased with. But they are not meant to exclude them but to include other faiths in our country. But it is probably a mixture of both. It took an event like 9/11 to get a lot of people back into the churches. Maybe a whole slew of mini "crisis" would help galvanize them into place so they don't stray too far.  

Whatever the case is, christians should not at all feel threatened. Because, after all, christianity is the number 1 religion in this country. Probably 90% of its leaders are of some demonation of that faith and there is no way in this modern time that a person can become president without believing in god. This country is run by rich, white and christian conservatives.

Christmas time is many things to many different people. I remember, as I kid growing up in a agnostic, secular household me and my mom and grandma went christmas lights searching up in my hometown of Duluth. We had a map of the best place to look at lights and there was this one street where every house was lit except for one. My mom and grandma said they must be jewish and I asked why does that make a difference and they said because jewish people don't celebrate christmas. I felt sorry for them but then I came to learn that they celebrate hanukkah and they still got presents (remember I was still a kid then). And now I look back at that moment and wonder, if we were not christian or faithful for that matter, why did we celebrate christmas? Well, I think this time of year is different for a lot of people, yet almost identical. It's a time for families to get together. It is a time for giving. A time to reflect on the year and welcome the new one. A time for feast. A time for presents. A time for children getting that school break. It is a time for everybody to cherish this time of year. Nobody wants to take that away from anybody, but then again, nobody want to feel like this time of year is strictly for those who worship the same as them either.

Have a good time.

No comments: