Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Commute


Here I am after my day. Lets see, it was about 8 degrees when I woke up, about 5 when I left for work. I bike about 3 miles to my Park and Ride, which is not so bad but they dont reallt clear off the shoulders on the road so I either ride on the white line or I trudge through the snow, which I dont really like to do being that it is rather compacted and a bit glazed. But once I get to the park and ride and put my bike on the bus rack that is in the front of the bus (I will take pictures of that soon). People always ask me if that is safe and so far, no problems (knock on wood). It's about a 15 minute drive to downtown Minneapolis where I get off there and about another 3 or 5 miles till I get to the U of M where I work. I used to get off alot closer to my job but since the bridge collapsed we have to go about 10 or so miles around, but it is still not too bad, I like to read and it is the perfect time to do so.

I usually dont bike when it snows. I find it to be too dangerous, especially in downtown Mpls, and the snow is too much of a pain to see through. Plus my bike, as you can see, is not much of a rugged truckster. My bike is a Redline 9.2.5 single speed and fixed gear (fliphub). I have big plans for it so I will keep you all updated on when I retool it.

So far I still go just about everyday. I missed all last week due to the daily snow dumps we got but other than that the only times I miss are when it pours or snows. This spring I plan to just bike straight to work, it is about 10 miles one way, I know I can do it, I just have to do it, know what I mean.

No comments: