Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Old School Gift

Remember back in the day when you were a child and you made your presents from scratch. Usually the macaroni christmas tree or a dradle. Not that I am pining for the days of old but last spring I painted this and my mother in law really liked it.



Of course I like it very much (the camera doesnt do it justice) so I decided that, being the great son in law that I am, that I would paint her one quite like it. I went with a bigger canvas for this one, about 36 x 48, because she has a huge wall and I never painted a picture this big before, I plan to go bigger in the near future. I used colors that would match the room it will be placed in and went to town. First try I did not like, I tried to match the style of the one above but to my dismay it was not working out so I brought it back into the studio and tried a second time, this time, perfection.


Again, the photograph doesn't do it justice. I need to find a way to get better photos of my paintings. With these painting I use a mixture of acrylic paints, some glossy varnish, lots of water and some coarse pumice. I first lay a coat of white over the whole thing then I lay the pumice down in random spots. When that is dry I dump on the colors that are really diluted near the other colors so they blend psychedelically. The first draft of this had the green go up to the top left corner but the color of the green didn't work well for me and the placement of it seemed forced. It had the look of a land and sea so I brought it back in the studio and layed some more blue, a different shade of green and some brown in the middle to act as a separator, and give it kind of a beach look for the sea. When the colors are still wet I use a straw to move it around or I pick it up and let it flow off the canvas. The pumice gives it a texture that the colors form around and makes it look sort of mountainish Of course with abstract art like this it is almost a crap shoot and trying to get it the way you want doesn't always work. But I find that once I start painting the image forms in my mind with the paint, like it is not just me painting but the paint and canvas as well. Part of me wishes that it stayed in my home but after all I am a great son in law and I have to keep up the position.

No comments: